Sunday, April 3, 2011

OIL CLEANSING METHOD


For the past couple of months I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method.  I have combination skin and a good friend of mine has very oily skin.  I have always taken good care of my skin but I wanted to use something more organic on my face...so far it has been wonderful.  My friend of almost 20 years has always had oily skin and has spent lots of money trying to correct the problem. OCM has worked for her. Cleansing with oil is a gentle way to remove dirt, bacteria, and excess oils from your pores.

A common misconception about oil and acne is that oil causes acne, but the contributors to acne are hormones, bacteria trapped in pores, dead skin cells, age and dirt. Many cleansers and toners today use harsh chemicals that strip your skin of its natural oils.  The key to OCM is using the right oil to cleanse your skin naturally, successfully and gently.

Always remember that ONLY OIL CAN DISSOLVE OIL.

There are two types of oils, carrier oils and essential oils. Carrier oils are used as a base to penetrate skin and maximize the delivery of essential oils.  Essential oils are concentrated oils extracted from botanicals and fruits and when diluted can be beneficial for your skin.

Carrier Oils
Acne prone or Oily skin:
Grapeseed Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Flax Seed, Neem Oil, Seabuckthorn Berry oil, Watermelon seed oil, Perilla oil
Combination:
Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil, Hazelnut
Dry, Mature Skin:
Evening Primrose Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil
Sensitive Skin:
Meadowfoam Oil, Apricot Kernel, Rosehip Oil

Essential Oils
Acne Prone Skin:
Manuka oil, Tea Tree Oil, Bergamot Oil, Lemongrass oil, Clove Oil, Lavender Oil, Rosewood Oil
Dry Skin:
Cedarwood, Rose, Myrrh, Chamomile
Oily Skin:
Lemongrass, Clary Sage

The key to OCM is Castor Oil.  Castor oil draws out dirt and bacteria and heals your skin as it has potent anti-inflammatory properties.  It easily penetrates the skin tissue deeply…better than any other essential plant oil.  Ricinoleic acid is effective in preventing the growth of several types of viruses, bacteria, yeast and mold; Castor oil has a high content of it making it an effective treatment for cleansing skin.

For my combination skin I use 60% Castor oil, 20% Grapeseed and 20% Jojoba oil.  We add a couple of drops of Tea Tree essential oil.  This combination has worked well for both my combination skin and my friends’ oily skin. 

How To Do The Oil Cleansing Method

1.     Pour oils into a small container or bottle
2.     Gently massage oil mixture into your face
3.     Place a clean towel under a stream of hot, running water. Lightly wring towel, and drape it over entire face for a few seconds until it cools and repeat two or three times. This opens your pores acting as a steam treatment allowing the Castor Oil to draw the toxins out of your skin, while the secondary oils/essential oils filter deep into the skin, lending it's moisturizing and therapeutic properties.
4.     Rinse towel thoroughly, and begin to wipe excess oil from face
5.     After removing oil mixture, rinse face with cold water to close pores!
6.     Dry face
7.     Spray a natural toner (see apple cider toners)
8.      and Moisturize

IMPORTANT TIPS
·      Always use a clean washcloth to avoid cross contamination
·      If your skin is left too dry it may be time to lower the amount of Castor oil and increase the amount of secondary oils.  Start reducing and increasing in small amounts…10%.
·      It is very important to use water that is warm enough to open your pores.  This is how the oils will penetrate and dissolve any blockage

I cleanse my face this way every night and my friend does it at night and in the mornings because she has very oily skin. You'll know if you're overdoing it by the dryness in your skin. You can customize according to your needs.  After a few times you should notice a huge difference in your skin, specially after the first deep cleansing massage. Give your skin a few days to adjust and adapt to being clean and clear of blockages; understand that the new oil coming from your skin is actually a good sign and will balance out very soon.


Let me know how this works for you or if you have other formulas that you would like to share!


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy I found this post. If this works I am indebted to you for life! LOL. As I have uhmmmm, matured its like my body has just turned on me. I have never experienced acne like I have these last few months, my WHOLE entire life. It seems I suffer from severe acne like Cassandra Bankson!!! Pray for me!!! She has way more courage than I ever would!!

    ReplyDelete