Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hair: New beginnings

Hi everyone!

I have been relaxing my since I was 6 years old.  One day back in 2006 I relaxed my hair at a salon around my area.  The lady kept washing my hair and washing my hair...and after 20 minutes (b/c I know my hair aint that dirty) I looked up and asked her if everything was okay as I touched my hair.  My hair was falling out.  I was SHOCKED.

Anyway, that forced me to cut my hair, to shave my head to be exact. Soon after I discovered what my natural hair looked like.  I felt so liberated, so natural, so brave and so appealing.  I kept it short for a while and then I let it grow down to my bra, thats when I cut it again.  I thought it was funky, fun and quick since I was now a mother of three.  I never really kept it fully natural.  Once it was long enough I would soften my curls with a relaxer.  I would use my hands and run the cream through my hair, leave it in for under 10 minutes and my curls were a little softer.

Going natural helps your hair grows pretty fast and I went from 1 inch of hair to 15 inches of hair that in 3 years...longer than I have ever been able to grow it.

Now I am doing it again but I am going to enjoy the process of truly going natural.  No relaxers, no hair dyes.  Because my hair is so short I am limited to the products that I can use because there is not much styling that I can do.  I will try to use as many natural products as possible and keep you posted.  I will also share information on those products that are not completely natural but seem to work well with my hair.

At the moment I don't use any gels and my curls are pretty tight so I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In.  I LOVE IT!  Not completely natural but it keeps my hair soft and moisturized.  It maintains the definition of my hair for a couple of days. Try it and let me know how you like it!

Peace & Love!

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting here contemplating on whether or not I want to cut my hair off again, and leave it that way!! Seeing your TWA is really tempting, pretty BTW!! Maybe I will get it braided before I do anything drastic or don a wig for a while!! What will I do, what will I do!!!

    ReplyDelete